[DAY 5] 2030 Observations and feeding. Mom made hard-boiled eggs a few days ago and saved the shells in the carton for my worms. In order to feed them to the worms, I crushed each egg shell in my hand, then sprinkled the tiny bits inside each cup. Using disposable chopsticks, I gently stirred the contents of each cup in order to spread the egg shells as evenly as possible. I did this because I noticed the worms weren't exactly excited to be living in their current environment. The coffee grounds haven't been touched. In fact, the watermelon rind seems to be in the same state as it was when I put it in the cups. This is unusual because Mom's worms love watermelon. I'm not sure if the worms are content with their new environment. Mom says that her worms were slow to get started as well. She suggested adding more worms to each cup or reducing the amount of food waste that I feed the worms. I don't think that the food is the problem because I haven't given them very much. But as experiments go, I will wait until tomorrow to see how the worms do over night. Observations prior to feeding:
Group A (blue)
Cup 1: one worm on melon rind
Cup 2: six worms on melon rind, one dead worm outside of cup
Cup 3: one worm on melon rind, one worm near coffee grounds
Group B (red)
Cup 4: no worms visible
Cup 5: one worm on melon rind
Cup 6: one worm on melon rind
Group C (yellow)
Cup 7: three worms on melon rind
Cup 8: one worm on melon rind
Cup 9: two worms on melon rind, one dead worm inside cup
Group D (orange)
Cup 10: two worms on melon rind
Cup 11: no worms visible
Cup 12: four worms on melon rind
I am soaking used Q-tips over night. I will drop those in the cups tomorrow before school. Hopefully the worms will be better tomorrow. I'm considering introducing more worms to the experiment but I won't be able to do that until later tomorrow evening. 24 hours should be plenty of time to determine whether more worms will be necessary. [Day 5]
No comments:
Post a Comment